Bathtubs are an integral part of any home, and they come in a variety of styles and materials to suit your needs and preferences. Your bathtub is one of the most common rooms in your home and an important focal point of your bathroom. It’s where you take hot baths, soak in the tub after a long day, or have a relaxing soak when you have a sore back.
But while your bathtub is a fixture in most homes, it’s not always in great shape. Fortunately, it’s super easy to give your bathtub a facelift. And with a bit of time, patience, and some know-how, you can either replace your bathtub or redo it for a more modern, updated look.
What is a Bathtub Reglaze?
A bathtub reglazing is a cosmetic renovation that replaces the old porcelain coating on your bathtub’s interior with a new glaze. If the porcelain coating on your tub is worn out or chipped, it makes its surface less safe. It will hurt you if you slip on it, but it might also cause bacteria to grow on the tub that can make you sick. Worn-out porcelain also makes it more challenging to clean, which drives up the cost of maintenance. Why reglaze a bathtub?
Why Replace a Bathtub?
There are some reasons you may require to replace your bathtub, not reglaze it. The first is that your tub is cracked and broken in a few places. This is a significant issue that can’t be fixed with a reglaze. Replacing a cracked or broken bathtub is expensive. A reglaze may help a little, but it’s not a long-term solution for your tub.
Pros of Reglazing a Bathtub
- Reglazing is less expensive. You’re able to have your tub reglazed within a few days of noticing the leak, and you’ll be able to save a lot of money compared to waiting to replace the tub.
- More straightforward than replacing the bathtub. Another upside to reglazing is that replacing your bathtub is much easier.
- Less time is taken. Reglazing is much faster than replacing your bathtub. Plus, you won’t have to wait for a new tub to arrive from the manufacturer.
- Less mess than replacing the bathtub. You won’t have to deal with many contractors coming into your house and putting holes in your bathroom’s walls (or ceilings) to get to your tub.
- Requires less labor compared to replacing. You can still access the bathroom when reglazing is taking place since it only affects the tab. High-quality bathtub-refinishing can give you a fantastic well-made, and maintained end product.
Cons of Reglazing a Bathtub
- You can only reglaze once. If the process isn’t done to meet your specific needs, you will have to look for other options.
- Reglazing is dependent on the weather for the material used to dry. This means that refinishing cannot take place in summer.
- Reglazing is not a long-term solution for your tub compared to new ones.
- The materials used in refinishing are incredibly dangerous and can lead to health problems. When inhaled, they can cause fatigue, headaches, and throat irritation. Therefore, a professional contractor is recommended for this work.
- The bathtub to be reglazed must be in severe disrepair. Refinishing offers cosmetic renovation to cover up minor repairs.
Pros of Replacing a Bathtub
- Replacing is a long-term solution. You will not have to renovate your tub any time soon.
- With replacement, you’re replacing the bathtub with a new tub. This is usually the most straightforward option and doesn’t require you to tear out any walls or fixtures in your bathroom.
- You can choose the material to use from the various options available and opt for a less expensive option.
Cons of Replacing a Bathtub
- The process isn’t cheap. You’ll have to consider the cost of removal, installation, and new flooring. If you don’t have any expertise doing these tasks, it could cost more than reglazing the tub.
- You will not access the bathroom during replacement.
- Replacing requires significantly more manual labor since several processes are involved. Such activities include demolishing the old tub, removing the pieces, and installing the new tub.
- Installing a bathtub is a lengthy process that may take up to a month.
- The quality of the new tub may not be better compared to the older one. In many cases, the material used to make the older tabs is of higher quality than the recent ones.
Bathtubs are a few places in the home that are rarely replaced. It’s easy to see why when you look at the potential issues and potential downfalls. Fortunately, there are some things that you can do to make your bathtub safer and more durable. If you need a new bathtub, you should consider replacing it. Replacing a bathtub is more expensive than reglazing it, but it’s also more durable.